One of my favorite bloggers, travel writer Raymond Walsh of Man on the Lam. tagged me in his very manly post raising awareness about Movemeber and men’s health issues. Movember is the global men’s health charity that asks men to grow a moustache and women to stop plucking that one long hair that grows from their chin in November. The idea is to raise awareness and funds for men’s health to combat prostate and testicular cancer and promote mental health and piss off every woman in the world who isn’t already married to a cop or a ’80s porn star.
My Movember Mission: post my own Manly Bucket List of five things I’d like to to commit to doing either this Movember month or before I die (which has a much loosier-goosier deadline). Then I tag five other bloggers to do the same thing.
Raymond’s request is the least I can do, since he has committed to riding around in a silver bullet (see photo) doing manly things for MadeMan.com, like a productive member of society, and I am sitting in the comfort of my living room in my husband’s boxers drinking Malbec and watching Season Two of The Good Wife.
My Manly Bucket List:
- At the risk of being a copycat, I too want to drive a race car before I die. I’ve tried to talk my husband and brother-in-law into going with me to a race car driving school but they’re both more interested in “living” and “not having their bodies pulled from a burning wreck.”
- I’d like to have someone try to punch me in a bar and then I just very calmly use their own momentum against them so they end up falling, embarrassed, on the floor and then I say something cool like “You better think next time you try that on someone you don’t know” or “I’ve always been lucky when it comes to killin’ folk” and then everyone cheers and buys me drinks. (I’d like to add that this is not an invitation for people to start attacking me in bars unless you have every intention of doing it with plenty of warning, in slow motion, and then throwing the fight.)
- I’d like to learn how to fence. (with a foil, not stolen goods) This stems from my love of the Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews.
- I’d like to go on an African safari. (Though not to kill anything and totally on the “luxury” package. I’ll be playing the part of a poncy 18th century Englishman.)
- I want to fly in a helicopter. Maybe that’s not so manly, but it’s one of the few “adventure” type things I haven’t done and probably the only thing on this list I feel relatively sure I will do one day.
Mike thought he’d make a quick Manly Bucket List as well:
- Chop down a tree with an axe (I told him this just sounds like blisters to me, but he says it’s the manliest thing he can think of.)
- Change the oil in his car
- Load a compound bow (Not shoot one, just be strong enough to pull back the string)
- Drive a taxi cab in New York
- Release and hunt a tiger in Compton
Ok, and here are five bloggers: (Totally randomly selected – And please, anyone else who would like to play along, please take it upon yourselves to do so!)
- Lance at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog
- Christian & Pat at Point Counter-Point Point Point
- Abby at Abby Has Issues
- Meleah at Momma Mia Mea Culpa
- Mary Laura at I Miss You When I Blink
Here are the rules for tagged bloggers:
- Choose 5 activities you’d like to do and create your own Manly Bucket List – they can be something you commit to do during Movember, or simply something you’d like to do before you kick the bucket.
- Nominate 5 other bloggers to create their own Manly Bucket List.
- Include a link to Movember to encourage people to register or donate.
- Tweet and Share your posts with the hashtags #Movember and #ManlyMoments
Latest posts by Amy Vansant (see all)
- Radio Interview with Amy Vansant (me) - July 20, 2015
- Win a bunch of books and gift cards! - July 8, 2015
- Apologies to the Teacher at Wine-Drinking Painting Class - June 30, 2015