No seriously, they were actually juicy. They didn’t taste like packaging stuffing. That’s impossible, you say. The truly moist turkey burger is a fairytale, a myth — like the lost city of gold or Keanu Reeve’s acting skills. But I swear to you, I think I found a trick.
As usual, I was trying to make something edible out of the utter crap I had left in the house after three weeks of dodging food shopping like I was a 1940s gumshoe and it was my landlord.
What I had to work with:
- About a pound of ground turkey
- A few cloves of garlic (which had already begun to sprout more garlic. I felt guilty killing them when they were pregnant. There are probably laws against that.)
- Onion powder
- About a half a cup or a more of two day old salsa I had made from tomatoes, cilantro and hot peppers from our sad little garden
I took all of the above, and some salt and pepper, threw them in the food processor and mixed it all up. Then I cooked them, of course, just in a pan with a little olive oil.
They were fantastic! I think part of the charm was the use of the food processor, which I’ve come to realize does give burger of any kind a really nice texture you can’t get just mixing things with your hands. This is a bonus, because mixing greasy meat with my hands is sort of a pet peeve of mine anyway. The other key I’m sure was the salsa, which, naturally, would not have to be homemade.
I have stuffed turkey burgers with cheese, added olive oil to the mix, soaked them in butter, cried my own tears into them (because what I really wanted was a greasy mess from Chili’s Takeout) – but this was by far the most moist.
Try it tonight – and let me know if you have any turkey burger tricks of your own!
** The picture is just a stock photo to make the blog look pretty. I do not have a crinkle cut mandolin blade for making those fries. But after Googling how they cut crinkle cut fries, I have to admit I’m thinking about getting one now...
- Get Shee McQueen for Nothing, New Release and Save $9! - June 2, 2021
- Winner of Name the Amusement Park and New Cover for Pineapple - May 24, 2021
- New Release + Cozy Cover Poll - May 17, 2021